Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
  • Thread Rating: 0 votes, 0.00 average.  Rate:  
> Wangan Midnight Episodes 15-16
R_E_X
Posted: Nov 22 2008, 11:25 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Midnight Sky King

Group: Members
Member No.: 794

Just saw the two episodes on Youtube.

SPOILER
PMEmail Poster
Daiki Inoue
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer

Member No.: 3,233

It depends on carb - if you have these with electronic controller then...
PMEmail Poster
dragoon20005
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Master Dragoon Commander In Chief Of The Dragoons

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,931

Already using carb and it has 600BHP, imagine adding the ECU and you have a car going over 800BHP
PMEmail PosterMSN
RapedApe
Posted: Nov 29 2008, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer

Member No.: 4,108

His car has fuel injection system with an ECU. It's a L28ET which only came in the later 280ZX Turbo model.
PMEmail Poster
5hu7o
Posted: Nov 30 2008, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 553

QUOTE (RapedApe @ Yesterday at 7:49 AM)
His car has fuel injection system with an ECU. It's a L28ET which only came in the later 280ZX Turbo model.

yes we know..its a bit obvious from the "E" in L28ET
PMEmail Poster
PanzerAce
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

WME King Tiger

Member No.: 2,725

*sigh*

No, it doesn't have an ECU. He *might* be running a dizzy-less ignition (don't have time to watch, so I'm not sure), but that alone wouldn't matter. More than likely, if you guys are referring to a scene that was mentioned awhile ago, it was a collection just of sensors to see what improvements could be made upon the engine.
PMEmail Poster
Sparrow
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 3,109

Devil Z's engine is not a L28ET .. i will clear this down in the post

No.. we see clearly his car has 3 two-body carburators in early shots of the engine.. its also Kitami way of doing things.. and those eps deal with Akio's initial oposition to leave carburators..

But..you can in many carburated engines fit a standalone fuel injection (megasquirt comes to my mind.. there are quite a lot of kits) , you surelly will have to substitute the intake manifold (if present, many carbs just have the carb bolted into the intake, if its the case then its necesary to add a cosum intake manyfold) and drill the sensors necesary (probably MAP wich needs O2 and COPOT and knock sensors and some more that i dont renember.. and of course tune it all with long seasons of try and try and have a dyno nearby..

-Kitami used a L28 engine to make the DevilZ engine..but didnt used a L28ET as such. he used the L28 block+head , bored it to 3.100cc , used 3 carburators and added 2 turbos, thats not the same as using a L28ET.. from the L28ET..if he used that and not just a simple L28 ..he only took the block+head.. pretty much everything else (pistons, pins, rods, cranck, flywheel, gearbox, turbos, intakes and exausts, even the carbs are probably aftermarket , after all he said there were parts that even him didnt understood very much
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
shunn
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

WME Member

Member No.: 3,806

yup. I don't know why these people would think that the Z was powered by an L28ET. The L28ET is a pretty standard L28 but with forged pistons with the CR of 7.4:1. it also has a SINGLE Garrett AiResearch TB03 turbocharger that had an internal wastegate with a spring capable of probably only 8 psi as the L28ET only used 6.8 pounds of boost. the Z used twin turbchargers.. that should be the first indication. also, I have a feeling that kitami used nissan's Electronic Concentrated Control System(ECCS) for engine management
PMEmail Poster
R_E_X
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Midnight Sky King

Member No.: 794

Thanx for the explanation... I was so freaked when Jet showed something that looked like oxygen sensor, since he has carb for engine
PMEmail Poster
Sparrow
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Since i have been allready told what happens:

SPOILER

This post has been edited by Sparrow on Dec 1 2008, 04:26 PM
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
RapedApe
Posted: Dec 2 2008, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer

Member No.: 4,108

QUOTE (Sparrow @ Yesterday at 4:26 PM)
yup. I don't know why these people would think that the Z was powered by an L28ET. The L28ET is a pretty standard L28 but with forged pistons with the CR of 7.4:1. it also has a SINGLE Garrett AiResearch TB03 turbocharger that had an internal wastegate with a spring capable of probably only 8 psi as the L28ET only used 6.8 pounds of boost. the Z used twin turbchargers.. that should be the first indication. also, I have a feeling that kitami used nissan's Electronic Concentrated Control System(ECCS) for engine management

I apologize for posting wrong information, I guess I didn't pay that close attention to the story line and it's been a while. As far as certain indications of the engine you can't tell since Devil Z's engine is not factory form. You can turn it to a twin chargers, bigger turbo, or make it a 3.0L , so that statement means nothing at all. Maybe I'm wrong but you make it as if L28ET is just some econo-box engine. With enough time and money like Kitami put into his engine, any so called "standard" engine could be a work of art. A friend of mine has 450whp L28ET and there is a 600whp+ L28ET. I wish I have the money and knowledge to turn my Z into anything near that in term of power.
PMEmail Poster
Sparrow
Posted: Dec 3 2008, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Why eveytime we discuss this in this forum it cames to this?

Im not stating that the L28ET its a econo or rubish or "uncapable" engine.. Im only saying that .. and it should be pretty clear.. that up to those eps the Z uses carburators!! I'm sure the L28ET is a great engine with tons of potential.. but it doesnt matter.. the issue is that Kitami used an L28 block/head+carburators+twin turbos.. CARBURATORS! They are seen pretty clear in every engine shot in the series.. 3 beatifull double-barrel ones..

user posted image

Also its stated in the manga that Kitami doesnt like very much fuel injection and that he favores the carburators.. All of this should be clear in the upcoming episodes..

That or im about to receive the third bigest owned in my life
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
Forrest
Posted: Dec 21 2008, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

WME C1 Runner

Member No.: 152

Guys, calm down.

L28ET is just an engine code. It refers to the drivetrain that came stock in a (fuel injected) 280zx turbo car.

No Z came stock with triple Mikunis, obviously those were a replacement for the stock fuel delivery system. But replacing the stock EFI with racing carbs doesn't change the engine code.

So the engine in the car is an L28E that's been bored, stroked, and had those carbs added, or an L28ET that's been bored, stroked, and had those carbs added. End of story.

And no, the L28ET did NOT have forged pistons from the factory. (I wish, I wouldn't have had to spend 800$ to get a set for mine.)

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
shunn
Posted: Dec 23 2008, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

WME Member

QUOTE (Forrest @ Dec 21 2008, 02:34 PM)
And no, the L28ET did NOT have forged pistons from the factory. (I wish, I wouldn't have had to spend 800$ to get a set for mine.)

Oh my mistake. it must have had a thicker head gasket used over the standard L28E then. I've been messing around and looking more into parts for the M50TUB25 in my E36. nissan usually uses forged parts in their turbo engines, so I thought they used some in this case to lower the compression
PMEmail Poster
mcfly
Posted: Dec 23 2008, 01:30 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Member No.: 1,257

QUOTE (shunn @ Today at 12:51 AM)
Oh my mistake. it must have had a thicker head gasket used over the standard L28E then. I've been messing around and looking more into parts for the M50TUB25 in my E36. nissan usually uses forged parts in their turbo engines, so I thought they used some in this case to lower the compression

really?

Nissan usually used cast pistons.
every rb26 they made had cast pistons, even engines they make now are cast. dry.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
shunn
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

WME Member

QUOTE (mcfly @ Yesterday at 1:30 AM)
really?

Nissan usually used cast pistons.
every rb26 they made had cast pistons, even engines they make now are cast. dry.gif

corrected again whistling.gif

Nissan engines are over rated anyway shifty2.gif

This post has been edited by shunn on Dec 24 2008, 02:12 AM
PMEmail Poster
Sparrow
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

So... when does ep 15 subtitles come out? happy.gif

Evades Superjakko's chair of wrath.. but not for long chair.gif
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
shunn
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

it'll come out when you learn japanese and then subtitle it laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
Sparrow
Posted: Dec 25 2008, 03:33 AM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

QUOTE (shunn @ Yesterday at 6:35 PM)
it'll come out when you learn japanese and then subtitle it laugh.gif

ok..i deserved it wacko.gif
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
shunn
Posted: Dec 27 2008, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

WME Member

QUOTE (Sparrow @ Dec 25 2008, 03:33 AM)
ok..i deserved it wacko.gif

Lol i'm in the same boat as you, but i've learned to not ask and to just wait ermm2.gif
PMEmail Poster
buldozr
Posted: Dec 28 2008, 10:14 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer

Member No.: 4,281

Alot of misinformation on here. To clear things up a bit and to reaffirm previous posts, the L series engine is a non crossflow designed head, which means the exhaust and intake ports are on the same side, this means bad flow out of the box and not the best thing to start with on a performance stand point. Not saying it cant perform, just saying compared to newer tech crossflow style heads, the L series is archaic. It appears that he has triple webber carbs and not EFI. I couldnt tell if the turbos were on the opposite side of the intake manifold or not(can anyone confirm this??). I know a company(HKS comes to mind) that made a couple of crossflow cylinder heads for the L series, not quite sure on how many but from what I hear very very low numbers were manufactured and not that much demand for them but supposedly a huge increase in topend power. To get the 3.1 L series, most used a L28D(D= Diesel) crankshaft which had a slightly larger stroke and most will use an off the shelf forged aftermarket KA24 piston from the USDM Nissan 240SX or the Z24 piston out of a mid 80's nissan pickup for the bigger bore but the combinations of this motor is endless but as far as power it is quite narrow. Over 400bwhp from the L series is a feat of its own and having it last proves more difficult with factory crank and/or rods. Hope this clears things up a bit. Oh, and a 600whp Z car is insane. It would require godly like powers to keep that devil on the road.
PMEmail Poster
DOHC
Posted: Dec 29 2008, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Member No.: 374

Well here goes 600hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOG9CXz2gsQ

This post has been edited by DOHC on Dec 30 2008, 01:18 AM
PMEmail Poster
Sparrow
Posted: Dec 29 2008, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

Wangan Legend

Thats not the L28 engine .. that is at leats DOHC/crossflow

The Devil Z engine is ideed sideflow but that wouldnt be the biggest of its problems.. the main being 2 valve per cilinder .. wich alone shouldnt be much problem except for that the Devil Z engine goes up to 9000rpm

- 2 valve per cilinder : good torque, good low-mids, poor highs..
- multivalve (3,4,5) : not so good down or low - mids but good to highs..

Of course this is a general idea and there are plenty of exceptions to this rule but is what generally applies.. turbo engines thanks to forced induction can beneficiate from low torque and multivalve to high rpm..like for example the RB26 engine wich is not uncommon to be seen up to 10.000rpm and its twin turbo..

Its curious but because im not a tunner or even mechanic i dont know if its possible to make a 3.1 twin turbo carb engine with 2 valves per cilinder and sideflow go to those numbers..

Still.. about sideflow. my car has the PB engine wich is the basic mk2 GTI and is sideflow SOHC 2 valves per cilinder and 112hp. After it came the KR engine wich is 16V .. uses crossflow and it has 139hp.. while the 16V engine is more powerfull and revs higher (6500 for the 8V , 7300 for the 16V) the 8V engine is actually more powerfull and torquey until 4500rpm..wich produces the oddly impression than the 8V is more powerfull than ther 16V to the cassual everyday driver.. of course if you pass 4500 the 16V owns but in daily use, city, normal roads you rarelly go over 4500.. Sideflow benefits torque and power in low-mid range (and shouldnt help the Devil Z 9000rpm) but is a obstacle to high rpm performance
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
DOHC
Posted: Dec 29 2008, 11:33 PM
Quote Post

i like nuts

Member No.: 374

i know just wanted show some few pics
user posted image

This post has been edited by DOHC on Dec 30 2008, 01:17 AM
PMEmail Poster
Hara
Posted: Dec 30 2008, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

Infamous Booboo xD

Member No.: 1

Now now people, lets not post overly large photos and also get back on topic.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options 4 Pages  1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll